of the Ladoga War Flotilla Commander
on the Urgent Tasks of the Units
N004, November 24, 1939
1. The troops of the Finnish Government have concentrated at our borders. Attempts of the Finnish Flotilla to land their diversionary forces on the Ladoga Lake, surface ship and submarine attacks on our lake communications and battle ships are possible.
2. On the eastern shore of the lake the units of the 8th Army will attack in the direction of Serdobol (Sortavala), on the western shore the units of the 7th Army will attack Kakisalmi (Kexholm). Air Forces of the front and of both the Armies from the beginning of the operations will be suppressing the enemy`s aviation in the airfields of Serdobol, Jakkema, Valaam, Kexholm, Konevets, and they will destroy the ships of the enemy`s Flotilla revealed in these bases.
3. The Ladoga War Flotilla assists the advancement of the units of the 8th and 7th Armies with gunboat fire, it covers the shores and the mouths of the rivers from diversions, protects communications around the lake with the system of patrol and intelligence, providing its actions by destroying the ships of the enemy's flotilla.
4. I order:
a) The eastern detachment, consisting of 2 gunboats, the "Razvedchik" patrol ship, M-18 and M-20 minesweepers, patrol boat division with the exception of seven boats, under my command, when the operations start, giving fire support and covering the coastal flank of the 168th infantry division (headquarters in Vidlitsa), starts suppressing the coast battery of the Lunkulansaari - island with the assistance of the bombardment squadron group of high-speed bombers; encountering the enemy`s ships destroys them. The further task is to assist the units of the168th infantry division in capturing the Salmi region suppressing the Mantinsaari coastal defence and assisting transfer to the islands.
b) The western detachment consisting of the gunboat division with the exception of two gunboats, together with the "Dozorni" patrol ship, M-30 and M-37 minesweepers, four R-type patrol boats, under the command of the gunboat division Commander, from the beginning of the operations, giving fire support and covering the located on the shore flank of the 142nd infantry division starts assisting the 19th infantry regiment with fire; encountering the enemy`s ships destroys them. The further task is to suppress the Taipale coastal guard with the help of the 7th Army`s aviation.
c) With the start of the operations the 41st aviation squadron reconnoiters the enemy`s ships in the Salmi and Sortan-Laks Bays and on the lake up to the parallel of the Valaam-island to provide the anti-submarine defence of the area and to protect the eastern and western detachments.
d) The 33rd frontier detachment with three patrol boats of the 4th patrol boat division and frontier posts of Vidlitsa, Novy Nikulas, establishes enhanced observation of the shores and protection of the water areas of the Vidlitsa, Olonka, Sviritsa, Syas, Volkhov and Neva rivers with the support of the 6th independent mobile battery in Novaya Ladoga and the 101st Sosnovetskaya battery in the Schlisselburg Inlet. If the enemy's diversionary forces are revealed, they must be destroyed with the help of the units of the Novaya Ladoga, Schlisselburg garrisons and troops of the 7th and 8th Armies operating on the shore.
e) The 4th patrol ship division detaches four patrol boats to the submission of the Commander of the western detachment for its anti-mine defence and guard, and three patrol boats to the submission of the Commander of the 33rd frontier detachment for the water area guard service. Four patrol boats which are left stay with the eastern detachment for its anti-mine defence and guard.
f) The 101 Sosnovetskaya battery supports the protection of the Schlisselburg Inlet water area with the means of lighting and fire on demand of the Commander of the 33rd frontier detachment.
g) The 6th independent mobile battery supports the defence of the Volkhov-Syas water area on demand of the Head of the Novo-Ladozhsky Frontier Sector.
h) At my signal the 18th group of high-speed bombers from the Lodeynoe Pole aerodrome assists the flotilla by suppressing the coastal batteries of the Salmi region and destroying the enemy's ships on the bases.
5. The signal to deploy is "Taran"(arms not used). "Fakel" is the signal of the beginning of the operations (arms to be used).
6. The "Razvedchik" patrol ship is the Flag Command Post at the deploy signal (arms not used). Second Deputy is the Commander of the 33rd frontier detachment.
Commander of the Ladoga War Flotilla
Flotilla War Commissar
Head of the Flotilla Staff
Russian State War Archive. Fund 25888. List 14. Case 1. Pages 26,27. Original