|heninen.net||Suomi | Русский|
|since 1997||Text Search Image, Video and Audio Search||News from The Site On This Day in History|
Liusvaara Village was located in the eastern part of Ilomantsi, on the western shore of Ylinen Liusjärvi Lake, on the border between Finland and USSR.
Liusvaara was founded at the end of the 17th century and initially was a part of the Suojärvi Parish. At the end of the 1930s, village had more than 200 inhabitants.
Finnish poet Eino Leino spent the summer of 1897 in Liusvaara learning the Karelian language.
The inhabitants of Liusvaara were evacuated even before the Winter War. When the war broke out, all village buildings were burned down.
As a result of wars, Ilomantsi ceded to Soviet Union almost a third of its territory. Liusvaara, as easternmost of the Ilomantsi villages, also left outside the new border line. All territory of the former village as well village cemetery were overgrown with forest.