|heninen.net||Suomi | Русский|
|since 1997||Text Search Image, Video and Audio Search||News from The Site On This Day in History|
Monument to the fallen for freedom of the brotherly peoples
The monument to the inhabitants of Pori, fallen in 1919 in Estonia and in the Olonets expedition, was unveiled on April 13, 1921 at the grave near the central city church. The author of the monument was the sculptor baron Emil Cedercreutz. Monument contains the following texts:
FOR FREEDOM OF THE BROTHERLY PEOPLES 1919
FALLEN IN ESTONIA AND OLONETS
ESTONIA, OLONETS, KARELIA, WHITE SEA REGION,
The last text is the modified words of the original version of the Jäger March: “Estonia, Olonets, the beautiful lands of Karelia, it is one huge Finnish reign”, which was later changed to the present form: "Häme, Karelia, coasts and lands of White Sea, it is one huge Finnish reign".
In 1946, by order of the Finnish Ministry of the Interior, headed by the communist Yrjö Leino, the inscriptions on the monument as politically unacceptable, were covered using the thick metal plates. The plates were removed after a few years.
Also on the wall of Pori Lyceum is a marble plaque with the names of former students fallen in Kinship Wars.