|heninen.net||Suomi | Русский|
|since 1997||Text Search Image, Video and Audio Search||News from The Site On This Day in History|
German torpedo-boat on Ladoga lake
In the first half of 1930's German shipbuilders tried to find the alternative to costly destroyers, which also were useless at the shoal. By the project T 1935 12 torpedoboats, with the names T1, T2, T3, etc., were built. The last and most modern torpedoboat built was T12. It was ordered to Bremen shipyard Deschimag in June 29th 1936.
The laying of the ship with the shipyard number 939 took place in August 20 1938, the ship was launched in April 12th 1939 and the building was finished in July 3rd 1940.
T12 was used in actions in the Northern Sea, the British Channel, the Bay of Biscay and the Baltic Sea. In October 28th 1944 the vessel was damaged during the attack of Soviet aviation on Libau port.
After capitulation of Nazi Germany T12 was transferred to Soviet Navy in Brunsbüttel and in December 27th 1945 the Soviet crew came aboard. According to Soviet Admiral Nicolay Kuznetsov, after the division of German navy, "the USSR got 155 vessels, including 1 cruiser, 4 destroyers, 6 torpedoboats and several submarines".
In December 30th 1945 it was renamed to Podvishny (Agile) and in January 1st 1946 the Soviet colours were maid over the ship.
In February 1946 Podvishny was enlisted to the Northern-Baltic Fleet.
In the summer 1949 during the exercises a serious accident took place. The main steam pipeline exploded, killing two crew members and wounding some. The engine was so severely damaged that, after several attempts to repair it, in April 8th 1953 the ship was disarmed, and re-qualified to noncombatant research vessel.
In the summer 1953 Podvizhny was towed to Ladoga Lake and anchored in the inner bay of Makarinsaari Island. In the end of 1953 it was renamed as Kit (Whale).
During 1953-1954 on the islands Heinäsenmaa, Kugrisaari, Verkkosaari and Mökerikkö there were tests of high emission nuclear bombs. At least three bombs were exploded on the ship itself.
In 1955 test programm was stopped and in March 13th 1959 Kit, loaded with nuclear waists was shallowed nearby Heinäsenmaa Island.
In the summer 1991 Kit was raised by the Leningrad Navy Base expedition and under strict secrecy was towed through the Svir River, Onego Lake, Belomor-Baltic Channel, White, Barents and Karskoye Seas to the Chernaya Guba bay of Novaya Zemlya Islands, were, by unchecked information, was sink in 1993.
|Thanks to Sergey Oleynikov. Visit his personal site.|